Yamaha Yellow Key Fronts

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 24 18:43:02 MDT 2006

Hi, Patrick.

What you say is all true regarding Ivorite. However, I think Ivorite
came until after the 70's had gone. The discoloration Yamaha calls
Ivoritis, for anyone who hasn't seen it, is more like graying, looking
as if the keys had been played with black greasy fingers, or some kind
of tarnish. Yellowing sounds like a different process, more likely the
more common aging. As far as I know, it's only Ivoritis that warrants
replacement keytops. One thing to note is, some of the early replacement
sets _themselves_ later suffered from Ivoritis, and so occasionally
Yamaha will replace such a set a second time.

-Mark Schecter