Story and Clark not tuned for 30 years!!

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jul 23 14:01:09 MDT 2006

I have long wondered where the philosophy of "you can't raise the pitch that
much" or "you can't raise the pitch of certain pianos" came from. Can you
expand on what that course instructs its students to do with a below-pitch
piano? Any additional info would be very interesting.

I ask this because it is so incredibly common to go to a flat piano, tell
the owner it needs a 100-cent (or whatever) pitch raise, and have the owner
say that the last piano tuner said you couldn't raise the pitch. I've always
wondered where that came from. I had figured they simply did not know how to
raise the piano pitch - or they did not know how to replace a string - so
they just didn't do it. But I was not aware of any institution actually
teaching such a practice (or lack thereof).

I leave one or two pianos flat per year because of some sort of extenuating
circumstances. Every other one though gets yanked up to standard pitch!

Terry Farrell