tuning pin torque

David Chadwick chadwick61 at cox.net
Sun Jul 23 10:48:21 MDT 2006

Andrew,
I understand the affects of humidity changes and temperature control within the piano environment and I will take your advice and re-measure the tuning pin/pinblock situation when the climate change has stabilized. A Edward's Wool cover is an excellent idea and I will propose it to the dealer who is storing the piano.

Why would any manufacturer have established dealer outlets in areas that conditions negate warranty issues? You make it sound like everyone in the Mohave area has piano's coming apart and rendering them useless. To our benefit here everyone keeps their indoor temps constant within 5 to 7 degrees year around. I agree a DC unit would protect the moisture content within the wood components but as soon as the piano is scheduled to perform it has to be removed for it's protected environmental control and into the fire causing myself and the other tech's big stability headaches prior to the concert and usually there is not enough time allowed for the piano to acclimate because performance venues here don't have the dark time or room enough to place the instrument.

I originally learned piano technology and had a business in Maine where drastic changes in humidity from sometimes 70 to 80 percent in the summer and then homes get sealed up in the winter and dried to a brittle 3 to 5 percent with wood and coal heating would be a constant unstable situation. Those conditions I noticed had more of a devastating affect and constantly stressing the wood, glue and fasteners holding everything together. Plenty of job security there but the pianos lifespan is dramatically shortened.

In Las Vegas I recommend a DC system to everyone and moreover to those with older instrument coming form other parts of the country where the environment was wetter. The new pianos that are delivered here have done well to survive and the manufactures are accommodating enough to provide well built instruments to survive this somewhat environment. The Chinese pianos do not fare well, however, the Pearl River instruments are doing much better than the previous years.

Thanks for your advice!
David C.