tuning pin torque

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Thu Jul 20 12:36:41 MDT 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: Pianotech List
  Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:15 AM
  Subject: Re: tuning pin torque

  There will certainly be some variation of opinion on what "acceptable" tuning pin torque might be, but maybe about 60 to 150 in.-lbs. (note: inch-pounds, not foot-pounds) will yield a reasonable-tuning piano.

  Terry Farrell
Just to hijack this thread, I've always been curious about the exact units for torque.  In rec.music.makers.piano, Don Gilmore (an engineer) wrote this reply.

I wrote:

> ...The force on a tuning pin is measured as torque, but just considering
> string tension, I guess simple mass is the right unit, as though a weight
> were hanging off the end of the piano (right?).

Hi Cy:

Yeah, tension is just in pounds.  Properly it's force (or weight), not mass,
but that's just being picky.  One pound-mass on earth weighs one pound
(exerts one pound of force downward) and since you probably won't be working
on pianos on the moon, a pound is a pound.

Torque is the tension multiplied by the distance from the center of
rotation.  If the string has a tension of 150 lbs and the center of the
string is .125 in. from the center of the tuning pin then the torque is

150 lbs x .125 in. = 18.75 lb-in

To get lb-ft we can divide by 12 and get 1.56 lb-ft.  In the engineering
world we call torque "pound-feet" instead of "foot-pounds" so that we don't
confuse torque with energy.

Sorry to interrupt the thread with my nit-picking.

Don
Kansas City

Thus it seems the common unit we use is simply the string tension (150 lbs.), while the proper (?) equivalent in torque would be 18.75 "pound-inches".  Yet the torque wrenches we use for tuning pins are calibrated in pounds... right?

--Cy--