1890s WNG Action Geometry

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jul 17 18:25:01 MDT 2006

At 6:02 pm -0400 17/7/06, Farrell wrote:

>This strikes me as a rather drastic capstan move. Has anyone else
>run across an action that needed such a large capstan move? As our
>action ratio is down to 4.9 and key ratio is down around 4.8 with
>the 10mm forward capstan migration, we may move it back just a few
>millimeters. But still it seems large. Is there some hidden pitfall
>I'm not seeing? Comments?

I'm not familiar with the evolution of the Knabe but I'm surprised
that such bad geometry should have persisted as late as the 1890s.
And I can't comment on the implications of your modification without
seeing the whole set-up, though I wonder what your touch depth will
end up as.

What strikes me from your pictures is that this piano must have an
entrance height more in keeping with a tied action (illustrated above
from an 1865 Kirkman) as used by Erard, Bechstein and countless
others up to the 1890's.  What might have happened is that up to a
certain point they did use a tied action and then some bright
mechanic in the factory decided to do it the Steinway way without
bothering with any calculations or sensitivity.  I imagine they
corrected the error pretty quickly.

And yes, the famous London maker Collard and Collard, committed the
same mistake in spades using a cloth-topped dolly like an upright
contacting with a short blackleaded lever heel.  It takes very little
time and wear for these actions to squeak like mad.

The tied action is fine but it does require a height not consistent
with a slim piano (cf. the old Steinway A for extreme economy of
design) and it makes a little more work and inconvenience for the
restorer.  I guess that the capstan/heel arrangement won out in the
end becuse it was more economical and allowed makers to design a
piano whose proportions were more in fashion.

JD