Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 14 18:40:56 MDT 2006

Mike-

My assumption is different from Dean's.  I imagine the top half of the key serves as a tension member of a two part beam, the bottom as a compression member.  Because of this, I place new leads a little below the  exact center of the key stick.  I also assume that to whatever extent the lead may allow more flexing of the key than plain wood, it will occur more when the lead is closer to the balance rail.

Your comments?

Ed Sutton