Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

Michael Spalding spalding48 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 14 15:57:54 MDT 2006

Dean,

Think for a moment about the assumptions behind your statement.  Do you
assume the key material is homogeneous and isotropic?  Ever see a key with
3 or 4 closely spaced 1/2 inch leads with cracks in the wood connecting
some or all of the lead holes?  Text book formulae are one thing, the real
world is  another.  At the midpoint of a 1/2" hole in a 1" tall key, the
stiffness is reduced by approx. 12%.  Is this negligible, or can a
sensitive pianist feel the difference?  What about 2 holes, or 3 or 4?
Worth testing on actual components, I say.

Mike

Behalf