Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Jul 13 05:46:01 MDT 2006

One indication of its performance is that Steinway had a patent on the
accelerated action that covered the inertia issue and stressed the
importance of having more lead closer to the balance rail.  However, now
they don't seem to be actually placing their leads closer to the balance
rail so I have to assume that they didn't think it really important from
a practical standpoint.  Speaking of being practical, one could bunch
the leads close to the balance rail so densely that you weakened the key
stick.  While minimizing inertia the best, it would introduce other
problems!

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu