Inertia, was "Grand Touch"

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Wed Jul 12 08:06:41 MDT 2006

Hi Vladan.

Most interesting comments from you, as always.

Reading this, I have some intuitive reactions that I would like to share,
for the case it can rise a better understanding of the matter.

How does moment of inertia relate to work ?  I would have thought that 24
gram moved (was it in a circular way) by 5 mm (or an arc of circle whose ray
would be 5 mm) needs the same work as 12 gram moved by 10 mm.  Is this right
? Does this apply to our key weight matter ? Isn't it the work to accomplish
that causes fatigue to the pianist ?  I thought, ok, if there is much lead
in the key, there is much work to accomplish, thus the heavy feel.  But I'm
still to understand why the same [weight/distance from balance] figure would
give a different feel.  It is the square of ray parameter that I fail to
figure out.
Now, from a pianist point of view, I have thought uptill now that as long as
the action has a decent repetition capability and an acceptable heavyness
feel, the more inertia would be the better (up to a certain point) as this
inertia helps alot smoothing out the minute discrepancies between the
pianist's fingers, by giving all along the 10 mm dip some feedback
information to the pianist's finger about how much force he is really
applying to the key, and letting him (intuitively) adapt this, in order to
produce the exact desired sound, favouring for example perfect legato, and
avoiding the "ow, I didn't want this" effect.
But then, at what point does the extra inerty start to impede repetition (by
making the change of direction of move of the key more difficult) ?  I want
the key to stick to my finger for the fastest that I can repeat the note
with that finger.  But I heard comments from other pianists that this is
already too much for good feel.

Any comments about all this ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.