Help with squeaky pedals

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 5 22:12:36 MDT 2006

Mark,
         I kind of like chasing down squeaks.
It's a fun little puzzle in an otherwise boring
simple tuning call. Oh now come on we all know
we've had the boring ones from time to time.
Customer just wants it tuned. Don't do ANYTHING else!

  Comments below.

At 11:19 PM 7/5/2006, you wrote:
>Help please!
>You may remember a few weeks ago when I asked
>for any help replacing the rubber grommets at
>the base of the pedals on a Horugel Grand.
>I was given some very good advice as to how to
>do this. The squeak (caused by the deteriorate
>rubber grommets) disappeared when I replaced them with buckskin.

If the rubber was in fact deteriorating that may
have been the cause but I somehow doubt it. While
I don't really like rubber for this application
if it is properly coated with some sort of grease
type lube it shouldn't squeak. I'm thinking of
the VJ lube or the Protek grease.

>The pastors wife was happy with those results
>for a couple weeks and then the squeak returned.

This is not uncommon unless the new parts were
coated with some lube with staying power like the above mentioned products.

>I spoke with her tonight and scheduled a service call for this Sat. 7-8-06
>I am at a loss on this one.
>The squeak comes and goes. On more than one
>occasion when she called me to have this fixed,
>I arrived at the church only to find that there was no squeak.

Ever check what shoes the players are wearing?
Crepe soles can make this noise too.

>As I do not doubt a clients word (my goal is to
>satisfy all clients) I am extremely puzzled regarding this one.
>When I was there last, I went ahead
>and  replaced some of the other "soon to wear
>out" pieces of buckskin in the trap workings.
>I glued them in place with CA glue. (buckskin to
>wood). Did I use the wrong glue perhaps?

Unless you soaked the buckskin through and
through the glue wouldn't be causing the noise
assuming a clean application. It would not have
been my choice but I can't see why it wouldn't
work. What parts of the trap work are suitable
for buckskin? If it's where the pedal rods
contact the levers I hope your using heavy
leather cowhide there or your buckskin will wear through quickly.

>I certainly can't charge for this as the problem
>is not being resolved. I am looking incompetent!
>Can you help???

I hope I just did.

>Any tips/suggestions welcome
>Thanks in advance