action clicking sound

Dave McKibben davespianotuning@earthlink.net
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:28:13 -0800

I need some wisdom:

I am working on a Schafer & Sons G-3 Grand piano that has two keys that have a 'clicking' sound.
The clicking sound is not there when you play pp but is there with mf and up.

What I did so far:
Took the whippens out and visually inspected.  Did not see anything obvious and no missing felts.
Regulate the action on those keys ( which were way off prior to inspection ).
The jack is a little off to one side of the repetition lever window, but not more than many other keys that dont have a click.
Lifted the damper up and held it while I played the key..... it still clicks

One comment:
The click sounds like a wooden click ( I'm not saying it is, just sounds like it ), but if I deaden the tricord strings with my finger, the loud click does not sound.  The hammers do sound a little hard and make a good ' thud ' when they hit the deadened strings.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be making the click, and what I could look for ???
Many thanks to you all in advance.
I really appreciate the opportunity to ask these type questions and get feedback from those with far more experience than myself.

Dave McKibben

DavesPianotuning@earthlink.net
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~davespianotuning/
858-776-2516