frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

Cy Shuster cy@shusterpiano.com
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:11:34 -0500

We have a lot of experience here at the North Bennet Street School with
pianos that are tuned daily!  It's really a torture test for tuning pins,
pinblock, and action.  Grands have what looks like grey iron filings at the
base of tuning pins, from pieces having come off them (as well as red dust
bunnies on the soundboards from new temperament strips being inserted over
and over!).

It's really a lot of wear, compared to playing (but perhaps more evenly
distributed).  Every single key is played multiple times, with force.
Action centers get loose; we can't repin everything, or we'd be up to size
26 center pins in no time.  Action rails get worn out from hammers and
wippens being removed and replaced.  Rep springs and backcheck wire get
tortured, and of course key height rises inevitably until you can't see
balance pins in the keybuttons any more... :-)  I don't know how often
restringing is necessary (they don't let us touch wound strings for a couple
of months :-), but I know it's done a lot, along with new hammers.

The school could actually charge manufacturers to torture-test their new
action designs.  Kawai?  Stuart?  Anyone?  We're non-profit, you know...

--Cy Shuster--
N. Bennet St. School
www.nbss.org
Class of '06
(I don't speak officially for the school; I'm just a student)