frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:58:55 -0700

Jon, and other pitch-floater rationalizers,
    More power to you, and all your points are understood and well-taken. I
would like to point out one observation, though, from tuning pianos to
440....  I've found that in a lot of cases, a piano that is allowed to
float is more likely to float. I do both, of course, to fit the situation.
Many of my gigs require 440, and quite a few are allowed to float a little
bit,(usually matching the bass). What I've noticed is that piano that
always hits 440 will be more likely to stay near there, just as floaters
float. I don't think that the extra "cranking" is excessive, unless there's
a real pin tightness problem anyway. I have always believed that there's a
stability factor at the pressure zones and rendering areas. When I tune a
piano that had many tunings in it's initial years, it seems to know where
it belongs, even after it's been allowed to go way flat. You can feel it.
When I tune a piano that I displayed and used as a recital piano for six
months or more, with lots of initial tunings, the dern things stay put forever.

Just an observation, as I said.

Guy