frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:06:22

Hi Tim,

The client must have full disclosure of what is happening. That's what is
ethical rather than A440. I agree that it is a standard to work towards.

The only reasonable way to keep a piano at A440 for any reasonable length
of time is to have exquisite control of humidity.

I don't agree that frequent tunings cause unusual damage to the pin block.
There are studio pianos that are tuned daily and last for a long time. At
least where I live there is far more damage to the block due to variations
in humidity.

The old literature from Steinway recommended monthly tunings.

At 01:09 PM 1/28/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>List,
>
>It seems to me that the public has a natural
>expectation (and rightly so) that a piano will be tuned at
>A440 after a professional tuning, and I question whether
>doing otherwise without explanation is even ethical.
>
>On that point, it seems to me that this practice might be
>violating a regular customer's trust, as someone mentioned
>that "most people won't notice," or something to that
>effect.  It seems to me as a musician and teacher that there
>are essential reasons for students to hear a 440 tuning
>which go beyond the practical considerations of playing with
>other instruments.  As this is the current standard, it does
>have a bearing on pitch memory, some of which is
>psychological and intuitive in one's listening and playing.
>
>Regarding the discussion about tuning frequency, it seems to
>me that there could be one argument for tuning less
>frequently, namely that the tuning pins will, over time,
>gradually lose their tightness in the pinblock.  Perhaps in
>cases of regular tunings, this is a consideration, although
>it still seems to me that any mitigating circumstances or
>considerations should be discussed with the client before
>leaving a piano at something other than A440.
>
>Tim

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7