frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:35:21 -0500

I ditto what John has said here mostly.

Sometimes even in a church where it is playing with other instruments I
will float the pitch. If I am seeing summer/winter swings of +/- 20
cents I will tune it to +/- 10 cents accordingly. I explain to the music
minister as I am giving the DampChaser pitch that this will keep the
piano closer to pitch most of the time. I show them my record of the
wild pitch fluctuations their piano is experiencing (obviously this only
works if you have been tuning it for a couple years and have a record)
and explain that it makes no sense to bring it up from -20 cents to 440
when that will mean it will go that much sharper in the Summer. If he
wants the piano closer to pitch we either have to go to monthly tunings
or install a full DampChaser system.

But it the piano is in an environment where 440 is not critical, and if
it is a piano I have a history with so I have hard data on how it
responds to our seasons around here, I will float the pitch all the
time. I don't ask, I just do it. I may give a little explanation after
tuning as to what and why I did it along with a soft sell DampChaser
brochure.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272