frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:35:03 -0500

I think this might be m problem with speed in tuning.  As I'm learning =
this awesome trade, I'm finding that I need to raise pitch on any =
practice piano.  For some reason, I feel like I'm doing less quality =
work etc if I were to leave it flat or sharp, flat in most cases.  It's =
a perfectionist thing.  I feel as if it's not a440, I'm doing a poor job =
and m ycollegues with more experience are saying, "it's not a440."  So =
how do I just tune for the sake of tuning and gaining experience without =
the necessity to match it to a440? =20
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Formsma=20
  To: 'Pianotech List'=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 8:16 AM
  Subject: RE: frequent tuning - floating pitch? was tuning

  Jason,

  =20

  I float the pitch all the time. Stability is my goal rather than =
having the piano "dead-on" A440 all the time.

  =20

  Here's the typical scenario.it's winter now and the piano is 4-5 cents =
flat in the bass, -12 in the tenor, and -5 in the treble. So, I do a =
one-pass tuning to A439. This way, in the summer, things will be a bit =
sharp of A440. If you pitch correct all the time, the piano is not as =
stable. In the summer, when the piano is sharp, I'll tune to A440 or =
A441, whichever will give the best stability.

  =20

  Now, if the piano is in a church that uses other instruments, it gets =
tuned to A440. However, in certain less "critical" situations, I'll get =
within 2 cents of A440 depending on the season. Most people don't ever =
notice that difference. Again, the goal is stability rather than being =
at A440 all the time.

  =20

  From the perspective of most customers, they want a piano in tune with =
itself, and don't really care if it's at A439 or A441. They do care =
about paying extra for pitch corrections every season to have it right =
at A440. If I see other instruments like a guitar or violin near the =
piano, I'll ask the customer's preference first. Yes, I do offer DC =
systems.

  =20

  John Formsma

  =20