Yamaha GB-1 What?

DIANE HOFSTETTER dianepianotuner@msn.com
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 00:05:39 -0800

Invariably I find that the GB-1's have loose screws around the perimeter of
the plate and in the web area.  Makes tunings unstable.  Tighten them first
and all's well.

Diane Hofstetter

----Original Message Follows----
From: Greg Graham <grahampianos@yahoo.com>
To: pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Yamaha GB-1 What?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:55:00 -0800 (PST)

Alan,

I tuned two GB-1s recently, both Disklaviers.  I think
they are 4 ft 11 inches.  They are very nice little
grands.  Nothing like the GA-1.  No tuning problems
that I noticed.  Both customers were initially unhappy
with how loud they were on autopilot, but a software
fix from Yamaha made it easier to adjust the minimum
key velocity.  Some tight key bushings and damper
guide bushings had to be taken care of, but the string
scale seems to work.  I've only tuned them twice (new
piano warranty tunings), so I don't have a good feel
for stability yet (and neither has a D/C system).

Greg Graham
Brodheadsville, PA

Alan Barnard wrote: "A dealor some distance from me
has sent me a request to do a tuning and Yamaha
delivery inspection on a GB-1, which I understand is a
very small grand.

I've never seen one of these ...

Anything special I should be looking for? Does this
piano have low tenor/low tension problems like the
GA-1? (And if so, do I tell the customer so they won't
blame me when it sounds like crap in three months?)

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri"