Bass String Installation

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:05:15 -0500

Removing all the bass strings first is standard operating procedure for
me. I've done lots of them this way with no apparent harm.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of John Dorr
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:43 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Bass String Installation

Esteemed list,

I've got a new set of bass strings (and pins) to install.  My plan was
install them one or two at a time so the changes in pressure on the
plate
would be minimized, and I'd planned to do it this weekend.  However, the
pins
shipment was waylaid, and they may not arrive in time for the weekend.

Is there any harm in destringing the entire bass section and doing
cleanup
while waiting for the arrival of the pins?  It's a 1921 6'1" Baldwin
Grand.

Thanks,
John Dorr
Helena, MT