Tuning Hammer

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:47:03 -0500

Hi Terry,
I'll have to try that.  I typically lean into the trebble in order to =
hear it well.  The grand is in bad shape. It's sitting at a thrift =
store. I've been using it as a practice tuning piano.  It sounds pretty =
good all considering. It has several notes that don't play. one where =
the key feels like it won't budge or depress. Another where you can play =
it, and then it won't sound again. the hammers stay up.  It needs some =
new strings I'm sure proabalby all new strings, tuning pins tightened =
plus a good refinishing job.  They want 550$ for it.  I'd give them 300$ =
for it if I had the room.  It would be a good project learning piano.  =
The one I Have now is an old Stark that I took the action out of, but it =
needs too much work to be a useful tool for learning.  I'd have to put =
too much money into it I think.  This piano I have, the frame and pin =
block are seperated fom each other with a huge crack that extends across =
the whole width of the piano on top.  It was an old player that somone =
put different piaces of wood on and this ugly spekley laquer. I kep the =
keys and action.  I need to get the rest out of here so my wife can have =
more room in the living room for our son's toys et.
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:41 PM
  Subject: Re: Tuning Hammer

  Marshall, are you sitting/standing in front of the grand piano when =
you tune the high treble section? If so, yes, your lever will tend to =
hit the rim. I sit on the side of the piano, typically with the right =
front piano leg between my knees - then your lever extends out over the =
capo bar - plus you can see where you are putting your mutes!

  Terry Farrell
    ----- Original Message -----=20
    You mentioned a hammer with the ball on the end.  When I was doing =
some tuning training recently, the instructor had one the Joe  Goss =
sells.  I think thy're pretty impressive levers.  The one you mention is =
a different brand, but similar in that it has a ball on the end.  It's =
amazing how many types of tuning levers are available out there. Ilove =
the feel of the Schaff 21, but I need to order a longer head for when I =
do grands, the head it came with, a 13g I believe, it hits the rim up =
toward the trebble section, and one has to get in a crink to tune with =
it. =20
    Marshall
    ps. I'm curious, how did you attach the wood ball from Hobby Lobby =
to your lever?
    Marshall