Center pin friction, yet again.

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:42:19 -0800

Ed, David, et al,

At 10:30 PM 1/24/2006, you wrote:
> >   The later model Steinways felt is trickier.

<snip>

> >      The factories don't seem to ream anymore.  They use a liquid
> solution to
> > size the bushings around smaller pins, then take them out and
> replace with a
> > larger size.  It is quick, cheap, and inconsistent.

And, because it is fast and requires very little factory time, will
be continued to be used.

> > I have not found any substitute for individual attention to
> > the bushings.
>Amen.

Absolutely.

> >     Consistency is paramount, and if you want a well finished
> action in both
> > tone and touch, you Jolly well better check them all!  (:)}}
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ed Foote RPT
>
>Absolutely.  Great post, Ed.  The shank pinning is a massive tonal affector.

Dead on on all points.

There is a recording of the Brahms Handel Variations (Julius Katchen,
pianist; on Decca, I think) where the overall outstanding quality of
the recording allows you to perceive the looseness of the hammer
flange pinning.  Too bad, it is otherwise still the best recording
out there of this work.

>Thanks for being a wizard....

Indeed!

Best.