(Caution - about Temperaments) Tuning for Jeux d'eau by Ravel.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:04:28 EST

=20
Hi Paul

   I didn't se any response to this.  A very  artistic picture of this piece=
.=20
Well written & passionate. Thanks  for taking the time.
   Dale Erwin

ing for  Jeux d'eau by Ravel.

......"Written on the manuscript by Ravel, and  often included on=20
published editions, is "Dieu fluvial riant de l'eau qui  le=20
chatouille... / Henri de R=E9gnier" which in English editions is =20
translated to "River god laughing as the water tickles him..."; this =20
quote is from R=E9gnier's F=EAte d'eau as a note that the piece is to be =20
played lightly."   (from Wikipedia)

I think it conveys a  great deal more than 'to be played lightly' =20
(though that is  certainly correct!).

This is practically direct orders to play it in a  meantone tuning. The=20
tickling is perfectly expressed in the E major  seventh chord, which=20
immediately provokes the laughter, an A major seventh  chord. The laugh=20
arpeggio's note speed doubles.  A major is the  sub-dominant of E: in=20
sharps keys the sub dominant is a step back down the  energy-excitement=20
scale, so the tickling of the E seventh is acting on the  A. The=20
objective in tickling is to provoke a higher energy state in the  one=20
being tickled, and a burst of laughter; which  'vibrates' faster  than=20
the act of the tickling.  E major has another quality of  tickling; the=20
G#-Eb  diminished sixth, which is the secret special  energy source in=20
the E major seventh that provokes the thirty-second note  outburst in=20
the A major arpeggio. (Think of G#-D# as a fifth that is 15  cents wide,=20
and tremolos like a third, it's character changing in the  different=20
registers just as
a wide third changes.)

Well, I do  have a little 'story' about what pictures and sounds this=20
tone poem is  portraying, I'm reluctant to try to tell the whole story=20
in words, if only  because the picture-sound story is always changing;=20
the better I play the  piece, the clearer the voices are, the more I can=20
hear them say. The  sounds of the music evoke images of fountains and=20
cascades and pools that  produce those sounds.

I will say this: the piece needs to start in E  major to have the=20
variety and contrasts required for the story.  E  major is at one=20
extreme of the eight 'Major Thirds keys and so there are  ample=20
resources both 'up' the energy scale, and also 'down' the energy  scale.=20
And the 'up' harmonic modulation immediately leads to the =20
quasi-diminished fourth keys.  ( The Major thirds keys are  C,  G, D, A,=20
and E; and F, Bb and Eb. The diminished fourths keys are B, C#,  F#,=20
G#.)  So there are contrasts of Mode, which are great enough to  express=20
the extremes of emotion and physical sensation, and the contrast =20
between air and water. Example; ever see somebody laughing so hard it's =20
really not clear whether they're laughing or crying?  Tickling can be =20
everything from friendly to provocative to cruel.

The last, biggest  cascade falls into a pool, carrying air with the=20
water deep Deep DEEP and  then the air explodes upward into foam, and=20
the wavelets
spread out in  larger circles as the energy subsides. F# Major (a=20
diminished fourth key)  and C Major (the purest Major third key) can't=20
get away from each other -  it's a 'resolution' that doesn't resolve at=20
all, except as the two  extremes work it out; but they never quite do=20
work it out. Notice this is  the only section in the piece where an=20
'odd' number of rhythmic impulses  defines a section: the rising and=20
falling patterns of arpeggios in this  long unmeasured gesture happen 43=20
times. The sounds of F# and C are  essential to this - perhaps F# being=20
the 'air' and C being the 'water'.  The F#-A# diminished fourth is=20
pretty wide (about twice as wide as an 'ET'  third) - which gives it a=20
great variety of expressions in the different  registers of the=20
keyboard. In the lowest bass it's tremolo slow but  insistent; an octave=20
higher it has a pleasing vocal vibrato effect,  another octave and it=20
becomes irritating, above that it becomes like a  siren. But C major it=20
pure, that purity is much more the same in all  registers.  What better=20
to express the difference between air and  water?

The last eight bars sound like the brook disappearing into  the=20
distance. The tickling fades away, and the last we hear is the E-B =20
fifth (a quiet fifth, nearly pure) in the bass, and the G#-D#(Eb)   wolf=20
fifth in octave 6-7, where it's tickling characteristic has passed  out=20
of view, So we have relief from the tickling that started it all in  the=20
beginning, but it's still there.....

Paul  Bailey