Hammer Flange Text

W Lutzow ibetuner@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:50:24 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0010_01C62045.7CDCB870
This text was suppose to go with the hammer flange picture...

Here's a picture of a hammer flange lock washer from an 1890 fairly good =
condition Kranich and Bach upright I was asked to work on.

Have never seen a good looking lock washer like this before. The piano =
seems to have been built very sturdy and has some interesting features =
like a brass slide button mounted into a cutout in the right hand cheek =
block to operate the felt mute. The action mounting brackets also look =
very rugged. Haven't had a chance to pull the action yet but I'm =
thinking the keyframe and the action all slide out at the same time.

My client purchased the piano for $300. It has been stripped of paint =
and has some really interesting grains in the wood. The grain however, =
to me, looks strange...almost like it's just a printed paper grained =
veneer like some of the cheap kitchen cabinets they make today. He wants =
to varnish the piano but I suggested we use the method on the OCT 2004 =
PTG Journal..."Varnish and Polymerized Tung Oil Overcoat"...which, =
incidentallyh was demo'd by Terry Miller (former Sacramento Chapter VP) =
at our last meeting. Nice job.

Works really well and looking forward to the process on a few units I =
have sitting around.

Just FYI

Wayne Lutzow
Lincoln, CA