McGyver Soundboard Band-Aid

A440 Piano Service a440@bresnan.net
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:17:59 -0700

Good Morning All,

Yesterday I called on a lady with a nice old Knabe Upright.  During the =
inspection phase of the service I found a few buzzes when certain bass =
strings were played.  Further inspection revealed the buzzes were =
emanating from soundboard cracks.  YIKES!  She had been hearing them, =
too, and they were annoying her.  I fixed those buzzes on the spot by =
folding a couple of business cards and inserting them into the cracks.  =
I told her that once I practiced doing soundboard shim repairs on a =
couple of "guinea pigs" in my garage, I'd contact her about doing the =
repairs the right way.  She's interested in having them done.

I made the decision to do the band-aid in the meantime like that because =
I know she plays the piano often, and she lives alone, and it was so out =
of tune!  I just didn't want to turn around and leave by dismissing the =
piano until the repairs could be done.

What I'd like to ask those of you with more experience is this: did I =
put the piano at any further risk by doing this "McGyver" type quick-fix =
in the short term?  It didn't seem like it could aggravate the problem, =
really, and that the main downside would be that the cards were =
susceptible to vibrating out again....  should I have put a drop of =
Tite-bond on them?  Should I NOT have done this for some reason?

Thanks,

John Dorr
Helena, MT