Did somebody mention Teflon?

Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:56:57 -0500

Jon -
Sometimes I want to speak with authority when all I have is
conviction...experience but no proof, no slow-motion videos or electron
microscopic photos.  So here's what I believe:

The reamers do get dull.  I'm not sure how long it takes.   I sometimes
prefer using roughed center pins because of this.

It you were to go into a new bushing with, say, a .051" reamer, you'd end
up with a different size hole than if you were opening up a bushing that
had had a .050 pin in it.  The teflon deforms.

You don't say what vintage teflon you're doing.  The older ones that might
be looser in the wood would respond differently.

Once, when I was asking Newton about teflon, expecting some subtle
wizardry, I was surprised (aghast?...I was much younger) at his
recommendation...  just give it a little twist, said he!

You can bear slightly against the inside of the bushing for part of the
reamer's rotation.

I'm curious...for those 3 or 4 half swings, what is the friction (assuming
you have some device to measure)?

Another question...you say your burnishers mic properly.  How are you using
these on teflon?

Lastly, while basically clear,  I could use a photo of what Ed Foote spoke
of in his post.

TeFlons be with you!

David Skolnik