FW: RE: Can anything be done with a '"Teflon Steinway", short of action replacement ?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:12:41 -0800

All,
I sent this to Gordon, privately, but think others may like to see it as
well.<G>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

Pratt-Read made keys. They were very poorly made and the key was extremely
flexible. I corrected much of this by having Rick Wheeler make me a set of
5" long key buttons and installed them. The clues were: key very flexible,
i.e. on a hard blow the front of the key hit the punching before the hammer
had traveled more than a 1/4"! The key button mortises were not parallel to
the key travel, causing unnecessary friction and excessive wear on one side
of the bushings only. The way to check the first thing is to take the
action out and lay it on a firm flat table. hold the back of the key and
push down on the front of the key. If the flex is more than 1/8" or so,
that would be one of your problems.
> Another thing I would look at is the hammer flange, (teflon). Where you
are at the atmosphere may be greatly affecting the friction in that area.
Also teflon the knuckles, wippen cushion and drop screw contacts. Do all of
those things and I'll bet the action will a whole lot less bad.<G>