Soundboard rib question

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:06:59 +0100

Hi Bob and David.

The piano measures out to 195 from the tail to the front of the
strectcher in front of the pinblock. I'll be measuring the entire scale
in the next couple days.  Its had quite the selection of plain strings
put on through the years tho. Doesnt look like the techs who've worked
on it new what a micrometer was. :)  Still I think I've managed to find
out where dimensions change. As to the rib material, I'll take a closer
look today.

David..

There are 6 ribs. Approximately 17 mm apart. The one closest to the tail
and the forward most on are fanned, but the middle four are nearly
parallel.  The ribs are wide and short and slope upwards along the
center line lengthwise.  28mm wide, 9mm tall along their sides, 14 mm
tall in the center.  All ribs are same dimensions. The long extra "rib"
that runs roughly parallel to the bridge and crosses over and contacts
the cross grain ribs  Yes it is glued to the soundboard. Dale Erwin
mentioned in a private post that it was probably some kind of bridge
stiffening device.  I didnt stop to look close enough today if it was
directly under the bridge or not.. but I will tommorrow. It was about
that long tho.  It is  55 mm wide and 15mm tall.

Cheers
RicB