Soundboard rib question

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:07:54 -0600

Jurgen and others,

All due respect, but I can as easily see Julius banging his HEAD six feet
under saying, "Now, why didn't I think of that?"  Tough to guess how a dead
man might think.  I think there are reasons to go either way on an
instrument like this.  Both are justifiable, both are valid.

I think of primary importance is to be very clear what your purpose is with
an instrument like this, define your goals very clearly, and proceed with
those goals always in mind.

Regards,
William R. Monroe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jurgen Goering" <pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com>
To: "pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: Soundboard rib question

I have been biting my tongue on this one, then I re-read the original
posting that said that any replies would be gratefully received..  so,
you asked for it...

Several others have questioned the sense in rebuilding and "improving"
such an old heritage instrument.  I'm firmly on that side of the fence.

No matter how much it is "improved" or "butchered", (depending on your
perspective,) such an instrument can never become something it never
was.  If someone wants a nice grand to play on, I suggest buying a
contemporary piano.  It is a slippery slope to change the rib design,
just because we know more today than Blüthner did 150 years ago.  Just
because we CAN do it, doesn't mean we should.  Where do you stop?
Restring with Mapes International Gold wire and nickel plated Denro
pins?   Install a new back action and large dampers to finally stop
that annoying after-ring?  Fit a new action with Tokiwa Turbo Wippens?
Imadegawa hammers perhaps??  Someone brought up the "oldest piano case
in the world".   (Some way to go down in history as a piano
schmuck/tech!)   I can see old Julius Blüthner now, pounding his fists
onto the underside of his casket lid, shouting "no, NO",  six feet
under.

It behooves us to learn from such mistakes.   Such an instrument should
stay in its original condition and live a collection where it is cared
for and available for study.  If it were a Steinway from the same year,
there is no doubt Steinway would like to own it again.  I would think
the Blüthner family would be very interested in this specimen built by
their great ancestor.

Admittedly opinionated,

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply