broken Steinway lyre braces

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:18:36 -0600

Mike,

Well, it is a Steinway after all, and if you put holes in the lyre, you'd
have to repair that in a future rebuild. Not a big deal, but something I'd
rather not do.

I was thinking about a nice brass rod with the big nuts like on the top of
grand pedal rods (what are those called?). One on the top and one on the
bottom. Adjustable and permanent, and it might just fit in the round holes
on the lyre brace block and pedal box. But, that's a lot of doing compared
to just ordering new ones from somewhere. But at least they wouldn't break.

John Formsma

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Mike Kurta
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 6:12 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: broken Steinway lyre braces

    Hey Guys & Girls:
    What boat am I missing?  What's wrong with replacing the wooden lyre
braces with metal braces?  Schaff page 126, use the 21" long brass plated
brace.  Cost: $7.70/pr, time to install: 15 minutes, reliability: far better

than the original.  Yes, its not factory, but if it does a good job and many

others use them, why not?
    Mike Kurta