Soundboard rib question

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:21:30 +1100

Yes, I believe you can have backscale lengths
which are too long for the middle and and higher
string sections. Sympathetic ringing can become
quite intrusive when the backs are too long. We
relocated the hitch pins for a shorter back scale
in the mid and high sections of a KG6 Kawai we
rebuilt a few years ago. The result was a
definite improvement.

In the case of Richard's early Blüthner, I would
be reluctant to change it design-wise. I'm not
often inclined towards preserving original older
designs, but the piano in question is a very
early Blüthner of which they are probably only a
few in existence. I think it is worth keeping
some of these significant earlier examples intact
so that we can keep an overview of the past 300
years of piano evolution.

Julius Blüthner turned 29 the year he built this
piano. The changes which he incorporated into his
instruments over the next thirty years was simply
staggering. I saw an early Blüthner at the
Griffith Ex Serviceman's Club in the early 70's.
This concert grand was 10' 4.75" long, with an 85
note scale and a patent action. But in most other
respects this instrument was a thoroughly
contemporary piano. Just last year we did some
minor repairs to a 1860 Blüthner which had
transit damage. Again, like Richard's example,
this piano was very primitive compare to the
above mentioned concert piano of 1883 (built in
his 49th year).

Unfortunately, the Blüthner concert piano was
lost in total-loss fire a few years after I saw
it.

I'd be interested in seeing an image of the
underside of the sound board when you can get one
Richard.

Back to work. Currently drawing the rim-bending bucks for the 280.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers