broken Steinway lyre braces

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:09:17 -0800

At 04:30 PM 1/20/2006 -0600, James wrote:
>I would turn new ones out of mahogany wood.

Given that the piano is subject to abuse, how
about turning them out of something tougher than mahogany?

By the way, I've discovered that if one has a wood like
maple, which doesn't take stain well, if one stains it
and then puts a very thin layer of epoxy over it all
(sanded down after it sets up firm), the epoxy will
stain dark as anything. No grain showing through, but
it's both dark and tough, and will take varnish -- at
least, mine did.

sssssssnn