Warranty tuning

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:41:34 -0500

Typically stores pay more for warranty tunings than in-store.  For me, =
it was about 2/3 of my regular rate.  You're right: you will get the =
customer.  Heck, I pay $5 referrals for a new customer!  I don't charge =
mileage within 20 miles or so; YMMV (!).

In-store tunings seem to be dirt cheap.  I've been paid $25 in MN, and =
$18 in WV - last year!  The bargain is to get in-store referrals in =
exchange.  This worked out great for me, though, as the number of floor =
tunings was very low, and the number of referral calls was high.  If the =
ratio were reversed, it would be a problem for me.  But people have =
remembered the store's phone number for years; you really leverage their =
advertising.  Sometimes they'll even add "tuning" as a service to their =
Yellow Pages and other ads for you (without your name, of course).

In-store repairs of new pianos should be covered by the manufacturer, so =
you should get your regular hourly rate.  For used pianos, you'll have =
to work out your own rate (are there other people who can do them?).

Make sure to put out a stack of your cards when you tune in-store.  I've =
been asked by customers "Do you tune outside the store?".  Find out when =
they're busy, and avoid those times (usually Thursday thru Sunday), =
unless you like trying to hear beats when the digital behind you is =
being pounded on...

It's an excellent way to start out.  You can take as long as you need, =
you don't have big hassles trying to find the place or make small talk =
with customers, and the pianos are in good shape (usually!).

--Cy--
  ----- Original Message -----=20