Replacing let off buttons

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:55:33 EST

Davi
  Any one have a picture of this?
  Thanks
  dale

I was  reading Jon Page's nice tip in the PTJ about using the hammer  head
extracting pliers for the installation of let-off buttons.  I've  recently
come to prefer pressing the new buttons onto the screws rather  than turning
them on.  This is easily accomplished when the let off  rail is removable
(for example, on a Knabe).  You can use an arbor  press (such as a drill
press with a wooden dowel inserted) and press the  new buttons on uniformly
by setting the depth gauge on the press and  supporting the rail with a
slotted piece of wood to accommodate the top of  the screw eyes.  On a
Steinway, however, since the rail is not  removable, you can't use this
method.  Jon's tip gave me the idea that  after removing the old let-off
buttons (a pair of center pin nippers works  well too) and then adjusting the
level of the screws so that the amount of  screw protruding from the bottom
of the rail is the amount you want  inserted into the new button, you can
easily press the new buttons onto the  screw using the hammer head extracting
pliers but with the hex head bolt  removed completely.  Similar to Jon's
article, the fork portion  straddles the screw eye and the opposite side
supports the new let-off  button while you squeeze it into place.  It goes
quite fast.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net