HAMMER HANGING JIG, from spurlock

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:09:20 +0100

Hello all hammers hangers.

I've used the Spurlock jig, but I found that especially in the top trebble
hammers, if the shoulders are on a perfect straight line, the strike points
are not and vice versa.  The Spurlock jig assumes that the piece of felt
where the hammers come from is perfectly tapered to begin with, and stays so
after pressing, which I found was not always the case in the sets I hung.
Also, the straight line in all 88 hammers assumes that the
plate/agraffees/capo arrangement is precise enough to place the resulting
correct strike points in that straight line (sorry for my approximate
english), which I also found not always to be true, especially between the
agraffee section and the capo section.  The best striking point is easy to
determine by hearing the sound of the note, and when you place the last
hammer in agraffee section and the first of the capo section by ear, you
could sometimes notice that they don't line up with the rest.  Same at other
sections borderline, at each side of a strut.  Of course, hanging the
hammers in different sections at even slightly different distance from
center pin induces geometry discrepancies, but, if not extreme, I found
those easier to deal with than voicing out the transitions between sections.
So I like setting the first and last hammer in each section at the correct
angle, copied from old hammers, and at the place they sound best, then line
up the hammer moldings in that section with a straight edge put under the
shanks, and eyeball the strike points to be in straight line in that
section, using a glue that doesn't set too quickly so I still can make
slight adjustments when looking at the whole section.
What do you think ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.