HAMMER HANGING JIG

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:28:48 -0500

Basically, all you need is a flat platform for the hammer tails to rest upon.

Once you set our trials, set one mid-way and ones mid-way again. Fill in.
A straight edge aligns shoulders and tails.  I prefer to fill in the middles to
avoid the bulge effect of hammers not always going all the way on the shank
when place individually over a long expanse.
This way you have shorter "runs".

Spurlock's appartae (sp?) are superb but sometimes all you need is a
good straight stick.

Practice and experience counts Foremost.  No "jig" will get the hammers
hung straight (perpendicular to the strings, left-to-right), a jig
will help with
the tilt of the hammer front-to-back.

Follow-up on your jobs, a year afterwards, numerous hammers will need
rehanging (removed and glued back on) because the shank has warped/
twisted beyond the effectiveness of burning-in.
--

Regards,

Jon Page