Lightening touch by changing damper timing redux

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:01:33 EST

The operation itself and the responses to my post have certainly proved
instructive.  Thanks to everyone who has offered opinions and  information.

While I noticed very little of the negative effects Ed or David described,  I
am not by any stretch a concert level pianist.  I would be curious to see
what someone who really knows how to play would say about the feel and  response.

And as a clarification, the reason I did the work on the second piano was
because the owner had tried the first one and wanted hers to feel the same  way!

Dean's post just below offers an interesting point.

<<Just a little clarification, work=force X distance. It is the  force
required to move the mass of the damper lever that causes work to  be
done. This force would of course be greater on the planet Jupiter.  ;-)

It seems to me that also entering the equation is the amount of  inertial
energy of the entire system. If the damper lever is contacted  earlier in
the keystroke the system is moving slower and has less inertial  energy.
If it contacts later the velocity is also greater at that point and  so
is the inertial energy. With the greater inertial energy any force  the
system encounters like the damper lever becomes less consequential.

Consider a 4x4 post in the ground being hit by a car. If the car is  only
going 5 mph it will probably stop the car with a pretty good jolt.  If
the car is going 150 mph you won't even feel it.

Dean
Dean May             cell  812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute  IN  47802

In a message dated 1/19/2006 6:37:29 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,