Lightening touch by changing damper timing redux

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 06:24:13 -0500

Remember of course that when we measure touch weights on a grand action, =
the action is usually on the bench or otherwise separated from the =
damper assembly (say, by putting the sustain pedal on). In effect you've =
made the action feel as those the sustain pedal is on, even when it =
isn't.

True enough, but we're talking about real world playing.  Measuring on =
the bench doesn't give an accurate account of what the player actually =
feels with the piano fully assembled.

Just for clarification here, Mr. Bill was referring to measuring action =
touch weight. Action touch weight implies action only - no dampers. So, =
measuring action touchweight on the bench should yield the same results =
as measuring touch weight in the piano. Now if one wishes to measure the =
effect of damper lift on downweight and upweight, of course, that needs =
to be done in the piano.

That brings up a whole 'nuther question: what is the desired range(s) of =
increase to touchweight that damper lift would induce? I don't know that =
I've ever read anything about that.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20