One Piano Per....??

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:09:05 -0500

Hi John,
Thanks for the encouraging e-mail.  I'm sorry if I misled anyone in =
thinking that i"m out to trick customers. E-mail is unfortunately that =
way, can't put tone ore xpression in it.

As for churches, no such luck. One of my tech friends has most of the =
churches, and I've talked to him about tuning them because he is tired =
of driving to our community.  I do have some income at least and we're =
not starving at least.  God is providing, and we pray on a daily basis =
about this tuning. He continues to help me improve my skills.  i'm =
curious, what is a strobe tuner?  Is that one of those electronic =
chromatic tuners that are real cheap under 100 bucks? =20
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Formsma=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 5:12 PM
  Subject: Re: One Piano Per....??

  Marshall,

  Here's what you said originally, " I'm seriously thinking about =
calling churches etc and saying, 'Hello, I'm calling to schedule your =
piano tuning', and seeing if the take me up on it, or say, 'Oh we have a =
tuner already.' "

  What you wrote sounds like you are trying to trick a hapless secretary =
into thinking you are the regular tuner for the church who is calling to =
set up his regular tuning. You may not have intended it to sound this =
way when you wrote it, but that is how it appears to me.

  I can understand your frustration about needing money at this time, =
but if you want to build a legitimate and lasting piano service =
business, I would not do it this way. You have to begin somewhere, and =
right now, it looks as if you are at the very bottom working your way =
up. There is nothing wrong with beginning. But there is everything wrong =
with expecting to get tunings immediately (and for full price) when your =
skills are yet unknown to most.

  How about going to the area churches and tuning a few for almost =
nothing? At least you would be getting experience, and I bet churches =
would be willing to let you do some work, especially if they understand =
your need. Many churches have programs to help those in need, and it's =
not like you're asking for a handout. You are wanting to work. Even if =
you could negotiate a tuning for $15-20, it beats sitting at home =
earning nothing.

  There is a blind tuner in my area who got one of "my" churches this =
way, so I know it worked for him. The music director told me that his =
work is not as good as mine, but they are using him to "help him out." =
But you have to know what you're doing and prove your skills or you will =
never last long term. Another newbie is out there turning pins (probably =
with a Strobe tuner from the way they sound), and has tuned some of "my" =
regulars. No big deal, I'm neither worried nor bitter because I know =
that without good training, they will never last long term. Chances are =
I'll get the customer again, and if I don't, there is plenty of work for =
me to do right now. I'm working on improving my skills and adding new =
things to the list of what I can do, so I'll probably be correcting =
their mistakes for quite some time. ;-)

  Proverbs 14:23 says, "In all labor there is profit, But mere talk =
leads only to poverty." You cannot talk your way into work. As Dave =
Ramsey says, you have to leave the cave, kill something, and drag it =
home. ;-) Hey, I know it's tough. I don't like getting out of my comfort =
zone either. But if you want it, you gotta work hard to get it and keep =
it.

  Hope this is helpful, Marshall.

  John Formsma

  pianotune05 wrote:=20
    Hi John,
    Why is it dishonest to call and schedule to tune a piano?  If the =
have a tuner, they'll tell me, and have told me.  I guess I'm not seeing =
the connection.  I'm offering a service to tune a piano.  As for =
exploding over night, I agree, it won't do that, but in a few weeks woud =
be OK. =20
    Marshall
      ----- Original Message -----=20