Piano work; was Freebees-

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:09:40 -0700

Joe, Way cool!
My grandmom use to say "No one owes you a living"
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joseph Alkana=20
  To: An open list, for piano technicians=20
  Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 12:37 PM
  Subject: Re: Piano work; was Freebees-

  LONG ----FOR SEASONED VETERANS ONLY - Just about making money.

  Marshall,
  So glad you are eager to learn and evolve in this wonderful crazy =
world of pianos!  My number, which by the way, is in the PTG guide and =
on line at their web site, is 425-747-4914. I'm out working until 4:00 =
usually, then home for my rest, dinner and return calls. Any evening is =
great.

  I once was a Boy Scout, trying hard to earn money to go to Philmont =
Scout Ranch in New Mexico. I was depending on mowing lawns, and business =
just wasn't booming. I whined to the Scout Leader about how slow things =
were, and he roared back at me to get off my butt and go out to the rich =
end of town and start knocking on doors and offering to scrub porches =
and floors. He proceeded to enumerate many ideas for earning money, all =
of which sounded so beneath me, yelling all the while to grow up and pay =
attention to what was going on around me. He gave me ideas on getting =
along with people, jobs to pursue, how life works, etc. What an eye =
opener for me. After just trying to get work it seems that jobs just =
flew my direction out of nowhere. One person told another that there was =
this kid who wanted to work and would clean up garbage areas, pull trash =
from under houses, clean basements, weed gardens, wash cars, clean =
windows, and, yes mow the lawn as long as I was there, even if there was =
a  regular kid mowing for them. Hand clipping, hand raking, non-power =
mowing for older homes with small yards. Absorbing the important lesson =
of "The learning curve for dealing with older people set in their ways", =
collecting money owed, asking for work, and giving an honest day's =
effort on my part: All of this helped me to not only earn enough for =
that trip, but provided me with a whole lot of growing up and finding =
out what it takes to survive. I'll never forget that summer.

  Now I'm getting older and health is failing some, so I ease into =
retirement and look now for fun things to do and enjoy life. So much =
work keeps coming my way that it's hard to slow down, though!

  Quickies:

  + Can you tune in a day care center and keep smiling?
  + Challenge yourself to tune with a noisy refrigerator screaming at =
you. Or washer. Or dryer with tennis shoe in drum.
  + Horrible piano?  Enjoy the people and develope friendship or sell =
them a new piano at the dealer and make spiff.
  + Make friends with child who plays piano, teach child what is going =
on with piano and child will be the one asking for you to come back and =
service piano.
  + Set sample key perfect and show player how much better note plays. =
Say piano will play better with regulation and you'll throw in free =
vacuum, too.
  +Clean fallboard of shiny piano with Cory Piano Polish while customer =
is writing out check. Sell bottle of polish and pay for  nice lunch.
  + Sticky upright action after move? Problem is moisture. Borrow =
customer hair-dryer and free up 80% of problem notes. Sell Dampp Chaser, =
use Protek and go to nice restaurant with wife and kids.
  + Ask customer if they have piano in church; ask for introduction to =
pianist. Get 7 pianos to tune next week.
  + Learn to do one new service or repair every day. Each item worth =
maybe one hour average. Rate x time x number working days of year gives =
you that many dollar raise for year potential. Would you settle for half =
even?
  + Don't play piano? Learn. Learn one new simple song every month. Play =
one hundred times. Perform like expert.

  OK, it's time for my nap.
  Joseph Alkana RPT
    ----- Original Message -----=20