Tuning Standard

KeyKat88@aol.com KeyKat88@aol.com
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:31:05 EST

In a message dated 1/4/2006 1:16:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
adarpub@midrivers.com writes:
A friend in Brazil has been talking to me about the possibility of
beginning tuning, and I'd be glad to help out.  But she says that
there pianos are generally tuned 1/2 step flat.  I'm curious about
that.  Does anyone know why that might be?  Because of that, she says
they have mostly limited themselves to keyboards to avoid the obvious
pitch/transposing challenges.

Arlie Rauch
Glendive, MT
Greetings,

           The only reason I can think of why they would tune a piano 1/2
step flat is because of playing with B flat transposing instruments.

Julie
Reading, PA