AAA Yellow Pages trade listing-Geoff

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:34:18 -0800

Well, I'm in your age bracket, and moving out of LA is still just a fantasy
at this point. But I've lived here all my life and the thought that there
are alternatives out there frequently crosses my mind when I'm, say, sitting
in traffic or it's really smoggy. Someday, perhaps.

-- Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Susan Kline
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 2:11 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: AAA Yellow Pages trade listing-Geoff

At 01:34 PM 1/14/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>I imagine there were other considerations besides building a business
>that prompted you to relocate. Still, making that one of your
>requirements is seriously thinking forward. Where did you move to, and
>is there room for one more? (Just joking. [For now.])

I chose the Corvallis, Oregon region. I love it. You have to be able to
tolerate rain and short cloudy days in the winter. Oh, and the grass pollen
in June is terrible if you have hay fever. Otherwise -- I love it.

We've had a couple of people move in, but so far they don't seem like a lot
of competition, or a replacement for me if I retire later on -- and, they're
my age or older. (I'm 59.) Sometime in about ten or fifteen years, it would
be nice to find someone younger capable of filling my shoes, maybe working
into it a little at a time.

A lot of places other than LA have room for one more good tuner. Refugees
need to readjust their ideas of pay from big city standards, which isn't too
hard, because living costs are lower here as well. Rates aren't abysmal
here, though. If massive debt, trade deficits, energy depletion, etc., make
the economy blow up in our faces, that might change - but no worse here than
everywhere else.

Susan