Freebees/C.S.Lewis classic

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:11:14 EST

In a message dated 1/13/2006 8:52:12 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jhill@classic-keyboard.com writes:

I had  some pens done with my details on

I leave a pen on the music desk, or sometimes hand it to the client as they
are about to write their check to me.  They are pretty nice pens, cost me  39
cents each and I have had a couple of people tell me that they used it to
find my telephone number (which is imprinted on the barrel along with my name).

I've also had people run out the front door to stop me as I backed out of
their driveway, yelling, "YOU FORGOT YOUR PEN ON THE PIANO!!"

As I leave, I always say to the customer, "I put a business card in  the
bench, so if you need to contact me, you can find me in the bench!"   They usually
get a chuckle out of that, and the bench is a much more  accessible place to
leave your card than inside the lid of an vertical or  on the pinblock of a
grand.

I also send a 'followup card' a week after the tuning.  This says  thank you
for your business and if you were not satisfied with anything to  please
contact me immediately so I can correct it.  The underlying reason  for sending
this card, though, is to put my name in front of them one more  time.

Between the business card in the bench, the pen, and the followup card, I
hope no one forgets who it was who tuned their piano last year.  (Sounds  like
the title to a C.S. Lewis classic: "THE PEN, THE BENCH, AND THE FOLLOWUP  CARD")

I hope none of my customers think it's tacky to leave the  pen.  No one's
ever said anything negative about it, but who  knows?

Tom Sivak
Chicago