AAA/YellowPage listings

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 09:53:28 EST

In a message dated 1/13/2006 7:38:56 P.M. Central Standard Time,
skline@peak.org writes:

for one  thing,
I've never wanted to live in such a big place that my
yellow  pages listing could get lost in a crowd

I once had a newbie tuner ask me for advice on how to get his business
started.  I said, "First of all, live somewhere where you are the only  tuner
within 50 miles."

I have struggled to build a full-time business here in the suburbs of
Chicago for nearly 10 years now.  There are tuners in every suburb  surrounding me,
although I am the only tuner in my town.  All told, there  are about 12 tuners
in the phone book, though.  I often hear the  comment from a new client that
they chose me because I lived in  their home town.

I'm sure people in the surrounding suburbs choose their hometown tuner over
me, limiting the number of cold calls I receive.

Yes, my business does grow each year, but not fast enough for me.

I recently took over a retiring tuner's business in a different area, about
25 miles from here.  I am listed in the phone book out there, too.   There are
4 tuners in the book out there, but I am the only one in my new city,  and
the others' home towns are about 10 miles away.

In December I was amazed at the number of cold calls I got from my Yellow
Pages listing out there.  I had twice as much business from my  'new' location
than in my old.  Granted, the retired technician whose  business I have assumed
had been in business for over 25 years out there, but  these were cold calls,
and I think it's directly related to the number of tuners  in the book.

Sadly, here at home, the people who 'let their fingers do the walking' have
many tuners to choose from.  Happily, with the two listings together, I am
now busier than I have ever been.

I hope you all have a profitable coming year, and are filled with as  much
optimism as I am.

Tom Sivak
Chicago