100 year old piano, or close to it

pianotune05 pianotune05@comcast.net
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:45:16 -0500

I hear a 68 year old piano on an old recording of a Chicago Blues jazz =
boogie woogie player, Albert Ammons.  The piano sounded out of tune.  I =
often comment to my wife how some pianos sound out of tune on =
recordings, even in some of the 50s and 60s oldies I 've noticed out of =
tuneness in their pianos as I listened.=20
Marshall
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joseph Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:49 PM
  Subject: Re: Lovely OverDamper Piano

  Terry "the Farrell" asked: "=20
  How is it we "know" how pianos originally sounded 100+ years ago? I =
know =3D
  some piano tuners are old, but........"

  Terry,
  The answer, IMHO, is to do a complete/meticulous Restoration, (as =
opposed to Rebuilding/Remanufacturing/Overhauling/Fiddling with.<G>), of =
a few. Once one has done this, you begin to have a clearer idea what =
that sound was. Although, not as accurate as a time machine, it's what =
we've got to go on.
  Regards,

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
  Captain, Tool Police