Leave your ego at the door

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:34:50 -0500

Hi all.

Just returned from a client with a C-3. This is the 3rd time I'm back
for the same thing:

making it brighter..only today, I voiced back 'slightly'(his words, not
mine) a 3-octave range to make him even happier(if that's humanly possible).

Well, I have to say, it is without a doubt the loudest C-3 I have ever
heard..and probably most of the people reading this also. I am convinced
this client has a hearing loss that starts somewhere around 1k.

but - he's happy.

would I do this to another piano to make a client happy?

Yes.

That has to be the bottom line. What I did to this piano goes against
the grain of what I have been taught and from what I have learned from
all of you about voicing. The voice he was after for his instrument
resembles the ever-popular 'bucket of broken glass' sound that the
majority of us want to avoid 'making' and spend more time 'correcting'.

He's happy, and that is the bottom line.

This is not a self-serving post..although it may be coming across that
way. This client was referred to me from another tech who was unwilling
to make him happy because what this client wanted goes against the other
tech's grain.

Mine too, but the client is now happy.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)