(careful, it is about temperaments)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:18:57 EST

Davcid writes:

<< The problem with these types of explanations is that
they ignore the data.  In reaching a conclusion you first have to look at
the data and what that tells you.  After that you look at factors which
might mitigate against your conclusion.  The data suggest that people who
are presumed savvy about issues such as temperament are not choosing them.<<

    My data is primarily from usage today.  I don't presume any artist is
savvy about temperament because I have never found one that is.  I think the
majority of them are totally in the dark about the history of intonation since
1700 and will remain so until the actually hear the difference.  I have
repeatedly been told by pianists freshly introduced  to WT that nobody has ever brought
the subject up!

>>When you stick to your conclusion (really your opening
premise) in spite of the data then it suggests a bias.  You're really
starting with a conclusion and then looking for reasons to support it rather
than collecting the data and reaching a conclusion based on what you find.

    My opening premise in my career was that the more equal the temperament,
the better.  After becoming familiar with alternatives and offering them to
pianists, I was profoundly amazed at the positive reaction I was getting for
these "weird" tunings Jorgensen proposed.  I was also amazed at how attracted
pianists I have tuned these for were.  If I say nothing and let the tuning speak
for itself, the response has been overwhelmingly positive about 94% of the
time.  I have now come to a different conclusion; that for the majority of
listeners in blind comparisons, the ET pianos sound harsh and somehow out of tune
when up against at mild WT.

regards,
Ed Foote RPT