The Beat that isn't -- Don

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:31:16 +0100

Hi Don

So your take on this is resultant tones rather then coincidents ?  Thats
the direction I am leaning as well.  I did a few tests with my handy
dandy pitch fork and pocket tunelab today.  Basically trying out what
kind of inharmonicity readings I get on the fork when I place it on
different types of objects.  I found that anything that conducted the
fork really well resulted in no overtone until around the 6th. Sometimes
the 5th would pop up depending on what I grounded the tuning fork on.
Putting it directly on the mic I dont get anything until the 10th
partial. All of which is in keeping with the descriptions I've found on
the net and in a couple books I have.  Interestingly enough... when the
fork was placed on sidegrain of a table the forks sound was quite
reduced, and I got very high readings (50-80) on a second partial. When
I placed it on end grain I got low but significant (10-20)  Both
readings showed 0.0 offset at 880.  This is in keeping with a couple
experiments I found on the net entitled "Forceing a tuning fork to have
overtones"  Seems like it has more to do with the what you place the
tuning fork on.  I tried grounding it on a metal note stand... really
loud result and no 2nd partial.  Glass was the same even tho the overall
loudness was much quiter.  All this points me in the direction that the
apparent overtone some folks are reporting is being generated by the
thing the fork is grounded on .... and not the fork itself.

As to the wave file I posted... I thought I might show you a couple
other perspectives.  The wave was a one second sample. The two pics
below show a 1:4 resolution and a 1:10 resolution.  Note the presence of
another beat. The inside peak you see in the 1:10 resolution happens
exactly 7 times in the full one second sample. Thats the resultant beat.

http://www.pianostemmer.no/images/fourtimes.jpg
http://www.pianostemmer.no/images/tentimes.jpg

Now look at the same 1:10 resolution for a mix of 440 and 447 which is
analogous to what happens with coincidents.  Interesting eh ?

http://www.pianostemmer.no/images/tenxcoincident.jpg

Seems to me like we are dealing with beats that are origionating in
absence of simple coincident partials.

Cheers
RicB

Hi Ric,

You are right--it doesn't "add up" at all. It subtracts. Look at one second
of the sin wave scan. You will see the 7 "peaks" from the secondary
resultant easily visible.

At 10:46 AM 1/12/2006 +0100, you wrote:
 >Kent:
 >
 >The sine waves that I combined together to make the wave file I posted
 >show no measureable overtones using Tunelabs Inharmonicity tool. Neither
 >could Cybertuner pick anything up.  Now the phase display that Tunelab
 >has showed a very intermittent response at around 880 for the 440
 >signal.  This response faded in and out and its frequency wavered quite
 >a bit. I doubt that this is an overtone per se. I fail to see how these
 >non existing coincidents can account for the beat rate in the wave file.
 >And so I question whether or not it is there. This echos Ed's and others
 >ponderments and its a fair question. And  I dont see that  simple
 >coincident partials theory provides an answer to it.
 >
 >Every link I find that describes tuning forks describes them as
 >instruments that have (for all practical purposes) no overtones.  Such
 >as the below. Several sights which describe experiments like the one you
 >did with your cybertuner attribute (sometimes) presence of very weak
 >overtones that are not accounted for by the design of the tuning fork to
 >sympathetic vibration from surrounding material... such as what ever you
 >grounded your tuning fork on.  John Walker tuning forks make a real big
 >point out of emphazising the <<overtone free>> characteristic of their
 >tuning forks in all their advertising.   One other point. The duration
 >and strength of your <<overtone>> is not sufficient to account for the
 >long duration and intensity of the beating between the fork and the non
 >coincident F3.
 >
 >I say something doesnt add up.
 >
 >Cheers
 >Ric