(careful, it is about temperaments)

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 07:56:25

Hi,

I remember my very first class from James Coleman. He said he had very
rarely had a negative comment about tuning--but the few that he had had
were about unisons. He further stated that no one *ever* questioned the
temperament.

What folks want is good stability, good unisons, a fast responsive action,
and a beautiful sound. (not necessarily in this order). The next item on
this short list might be temperament--but it also might be a nice shiny case.

I was disappointed both times I've "heard" alternate temperaments done by
"master tuners" because they always chose the "larger better piano" for the
alternate temperament. Too bad they didn't have two identical pianos to
work with, and too bad they didn't have the courage to place the alternate
tuning on the poorer instrument.

If a client wants HT great! If they want to "experiment" great!

To my own shabby ear, however, HT's simply sound out of tune. My loss I'm
sure.

At 05:31 AM 1/12/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Possible, but not likely to have been the factor for virtually everyone.
>Doesn't much explain decisions about recording either.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner