Bridge Bracket Racket

A440 Piano Service a440@bresnan.net
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:31:54 -0700

Greetings,

Yesterday I worked on a Milton upright with an annoying zing to many of =
the bass strings and inspection of the bass bridge revealed the culprit =
to be these not-so-cute little bridge brackets.  They are used in lieu =
of the more conventional pins in the wood.  They are held in place by =
one screw and the string goes UNDER one (removable) pin nearer the =
looped hitch pin end, and OVER the speaking length terminal "pin."  =
There are "ears" on the bracket that hold in the removable pin.  I HAVE =
a .jpg, but my mail was bounced because the file is too big.  I don't =
know exactly how to reduce it (long story) nor send it to "files @ ptg" =
yet, but if you want to see it I'll send it to you personally.

My question is if anybody knows where I can obtain these?  I've looked =
through Schaff and PianoTek to no avail.

Alternatively, any good ideas on how to fix them?  On the offending =
strings I loosened the strings, removed the middle pin, loosened the =
attaching screw and realigned the bracket so that it was more paralell =
with the strings.  (Because MOST of the buzzing/zinging seems to be from =
the string vibrating on the side of the bracket)  This cured most of the =
offenders, but a few still buzzed.  Then I took a punched and tapped =
down the "ears" that hold down the pin in the middle, thinking that =
looseness THERE could cause a buzz.  That was of some (small) help, too. =
 On the last three that I couldn't improve, I've concluded that the =
forward "pin" which establishes speaking length is grooved and I can't =
get the strings to settle on new material  away from the groove.  It =
doesn't seem that the forward "pin" is removable, either, but I could be =
wrong.

Experiences, anyone?  Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

John Dorr
Helena, Montana

PS  I just returned from the Randy Potter Seminar, where I tuned my =
first piano entirely aurally!  Sounded good, too!  Gotta big "attaboy" =
from Dave Swartz, RPT.   Also passed my written exam and have the =
confidence that I'll take my tech and tuning exams sometime this year as =
well!  Needless to say (but I will): KILLER SEMINAR!  Six 14-hour days!  =
Gotta love it