(careful, it is about temperaments)

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:48:20 +0100

As to the matter of conclusive.... we of course agree.  I dont anyone
can claim conclusive proof one way or the other either... not by a long
shot.  That said, I /believe/ that composers were affected by the sounds
around them... perfect pitch aware or not. I try to imagine my self in
that same enviroment... could I not be influenced ? Could it not be a
significant part of why I choose any particular key ?  Well... we will
never know perhaps... I'm not sure it really matters much.  Certainly
much in that world is there to be explored... if not re-explored.

Cheers
RicB

While I think the exploration of WT has it's own interest in terms of what
the composers of that day may have been hearing when they actually played
their works on the piano or related instrument, I think it is far from
conclusive that those who often conceived of and composed things away from
the instrument, with a keen sense of absolute pitch and the unique
characteristics of each key apart from the piano, with orchestration ever in
their minds would have been driven by tuning style that was evolving even
during their own lifetimes.