(careful, it is about temperaments)

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:09:15 -0600

David:

Even though orchestral instruments have the ability to adjust their
pitch "on the fly" and even though they claim to tune their intervals
"just" I think they are profoundly affected by the pitch memory they
have of intervals on the piano.  String quartets and a cappella vocal
groups are famous for making the "just" claims yet it is rarely heard.
Some of the very best barber shop vocal groups manage to pull it off
because they emphasize "ringing the chords" and are the most aware of
their pitches of any musical groups I'm aware of.  Here in Dallas there
is a large group dedicated to this music and their just intervals will
really make your spine tingle (but I digress).

Most groups that I've heard, who perform unencumbered by fixed tuned
instruments, tend to place their intervals much like they have heard
them on the piano.  Since a cappella choirs tend to learn new music with
the aid of a piano before they go a cappella that's understandable. In
our day that's a more-or-less ET.  I'm sure in the classical period the
well temperaments were so fixed in their minds that they played or sang
with those WT intervals in mind.  Composers then (even those who had no
piano) would tend to write in and for the keys that they had in their
head.  This is why it took a while for ET to become accepted as it
violated people's idea of the pitch in their head.  You don't have to
have pitch recognition to have a good sense of interval width.  When I'm
tuning, after I've tuned C I can look away from my ETD and while not
using any other pitch source, I can tune C# and it will be amazingly
close and I'm no genius.  I think anyone who makes their living in music
can do the same thing.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu